Electrical Wiring in the Home/water-damaged wiring

Hi Bob,
My house, which is on a lagoon in Ortley Beach, was flooded by Hurricane Sandy. It is built on a slab and the waterline measures 26" up from the slab. Both FEMA and the state are insisting that any wiring/receptacles/switches that came in contact with that water needs to be replaced. My question is this: can I replace the affected wiring by installing junction boxes above the waterline, or does all of the new wiring need to be home-runned to the breaker panel? I'm a carpenter by trade and have done quite a bit of wiring in my time, but I'd really like to keep all of my material costs down as much as possible.

I'm not an expert on water damage to wiring, but I can tell you that the box where you make any splices needs to be accessible, which means that you would have to have blank cover plates on the wall. If there is a way to make the splices in the attic, that would be OK too. The plates can be behind furniture, but not things like kitchen cabinets.

The best thing to do, is to check with the local inspector, or anyone else handling the situation.  It is always best to get the answer from the people who might be inspecting it.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.