Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring a ceiling fan

I want to install a ceiling fan in my living room.  The existing electrical setup consists of three recessed ceiling lights, all connected to the same dimmer switch.  Can I rewire it so that I replace the center light with the ceiling fan (outfitted with an on/off remote), and leave the two other lights connected to the dimmer switch?  If so, can you explain how to do this?  Thanks

It depends on how it was wired up.  Most likely the power comes in at the switch, so you would need to run another wire from the switch to the fan.  If there is an attic above the fan, you could wire the fan to any general lighting circuit.

Check the switch.  If it has two or more cables, with white wires connected together, then the power comes in at the switch.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.