Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring a hanging lantern lite fixture outside

I have a house that has three electrical fan outlets on my lanai with the center on I wish to install a Hanging Lantern and no fan. When I removed the fan that was there I found a black wire, a red wire, and white wire and a ground. my lantern has two black wires and a ground. There is a wall switch inside our house that controlled the light. but not a fan. When we had a fan there the black wire was hot all the time and the fan had to be turn on and off with a pull chain. I have tried to wire the lantern to the red wire and white wire, but the switch don't turn on the light. I wired it to the black and white and it stays on and cannot be turned off at the switch. How can I wire the light so that the switch will turn it on and off from inside?

The most likely situation, is that the red and white are correct, but a wire is loose somewhere. Check all of the wiring. Check to see if you have power at the switch, and check if you have power at the lights. Make sure that the red wires are connected together at all of the junction boxes.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.