Electrical Wiring in the Home/breaker panels

QUESTION: I an going to attach an image of my panels. Can I run a new circuit to my basement from this? All the lights and outlets use the same switch in my basement. Everything is on or off. Do I need to upgrade it all in to one panel? Can I just add another?

It would definitely be good to replace all the patchwork with a new breaker panel. You are probably due for an upgrade in the amperage.  Assuming that the fuse box is the main, then you probably have only 100 amp service. New houses usually have 150 or 200 amp service. Also, there is no main breaker that I can see, so it is possible to overload it and not have the power turn off.

QUESTION: That sounds expensive for sure. My garage is less than 5 years old and has a huge panel in it. This is also where the power comes from the pole to my garage/house. Im not sure if it goes to the garage then to the house. Or to both simultaneously. Would it be a "bad idea" to run a circuit from the garage through 75-100' of wire to my basement? I am trying to avoid a $3k upgrade if I can.

Well, the two things you have to be concerned about is having a blank place for a new breaker, and making sure you don't overload anything.  If you have a blank spot, and don't plan on using too much power on the extra circuit, you should be OK for now.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.