Electrical Wiring in the Home/circuit out but nothing tripped
Power in circuit (bathroom lights, shower light, common wall outlet, hall lights, second bathroom)went out shortly after my wife was using a hair curling iron (that she has used for over a year). She said lights were surging just prior. I checked the main and none of the breakers were tripped. I turned them off and on just to be sure, but power to that circuit is out. What is next step?
Assuming that there is not a GFCI that is tripped, it sounds like the wire burned loose from a connections somewhere in the circuit. These things can be hard to track down. Somewhere in the circuit, there is a break. It could even be at a device that is working, because it could be the wire leaving the working device that is not working.
Check all outlets, switches, and lights. Check the wire nuts, because the wire could look connected, but not be. Especially check any outlets and switches that have the wires pushed in the back rather than screwed to the sides, because sometimes these fail. You may want to get a circuit analyzer for under $10 at any home center which will narrow it down to the white or black wire
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here