Electrical Wiring in the Home/electric

Question
QUESTION: my electric just went out one day and when replacing the plugins my husband found if you touch the nutral to the ground all the electric works again  why is this happening and how do we fix it

ANSWER: Hi.

It means that there is a break somewhere in a neutral wire.  Connecting the neutral to a ground could cause a shock or a fire, so I don't recommend doing that. Check all the white wires in the wire nuts, and where the wires connect to the outlets, especially if the wires are pushed in the back of the outlets. Also make sure that none of the bridges are removed between the two screws of the outlets. They should not be removed.

QUESTION: hello thank you for your answer but may i ask what do you mean about the bridges cause he is not sure what you are talking about. should the outlets we check be the ones on the same circuit that is not working. also should we check the switches that run thoes outlets . my son fell against the wall in his room and it sparked if you hit the wall by that outlet the electric would go off and on then off none of our breakers have fliped we replaced that outlet  and we still have no electric where all should we look for the break. thank you very much for your time.

Answer
Most outlets have little strips between the screws. They can be removed, but that is rare, and you should not remove them.

Yes, check all the wiring near where it sparked.  But a short circuit there could damage the wiring anywhere in the circuit. Check all outlets. Neutral wires do not connect to the switches, but there should be white wires connected with a wire nut in some of the switch boxes.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle