Electrical Wiring in the Home/Fan pops fuse when turned off
Hi Bob, I just put in a new ceiling fan and light where an old light was. when i turn the fan and lights on, by the switch on the wall it works, but, when I turn it off by the wall switch it pops a 30 amp fuse. Any suggestions? By the way my house was built in 1950, and I also have two cirrcuit boxes as well.
I'm a electrician illiterate. :(
The fuse should not be a 30 amp fuse. That is a fire waiting to happen. If you are not sure of the gauge of the wire, put a 15 amp fuse. If you can tell that the wire is 12 gauge throughout the circuit, then put a 20 amp fuse.
Did you change the wiring? Are you sure that the fan isn't running when the switch is off, but the fuse pops when the switch is turned on? In that case the white wire from the switch needs to go to the black wire of the fan. The white wire from the switch is a hot wire.
Check all of the wiring, and make sure no bares wires are touching anything.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here