Electrical Wiring in the Home/junction boxes on a dryer line

Question
Hello Sir,

After deciding to move our dryer to the other side of our house, we bought what we thought was enough wire to reach by connecting the old wire to the new, using a junction box setup. I've heard that is acceptable but then we discovered that we were still about 5 feet short of where we want to locate the outlet.
I was going to ad an additional junction box to extend the length but I'm unsure if this is acceptable and safe.
Could you give me your opinion?
Thank You
Ed
Springfield, VT

Answer
It is acceptable as long as the work done meets code.

The least amount of junction connections means less potential problems, but it is acceptable.

The total length of the wire from the breaker to the outlet is a concern. If it is less than 100 feet then you are okay. If it is longer then 100 feet you will run into voltage drop issues and need to go one wire size larger.

If you need to increase the wire size you have to do it for the total length from the breaker to the outlet.

If the wire is aluminum you will need to add anti-ox to each connection.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes