Electrical Wiring in the Home/Mobile Home light switch questions

I have a 1993 Fleetwood DW 28' X 70'mobile home. In the master bathroom suite there are 2 separate light fixtures, one on the ceiling in the middle of the room & 2 vanity lights over the double sinks. The problem is there is only 1 light switch for all 3 lights even though there is a double switch box in the wall. They merely put a double cover over it with the extra switch hole covered from inside. If that's not weird enough they have also connected an outlet from the bedroom on the same wall to this outlet! But the outlet works even if the light switch is turned off. I feel this uses way too much electric to turn all of them on at once & would like a more efficient solution.

Now I know enough about electrical wiring to replace switches, outlets & light fixtures, etc. I just had to replace the switch which is what brought me to this discovery in the first place. But I am wondering if I can add a second light switch to the circuit by separating the ceiling light from the wall lights & how I would do the wiring to make sure the circuit is complete? There are 3 sets of wires coming into that box, 2 from the ceiling & one from the lower outlet(which hasn't worked since I changed the switch), so that makes it have 3 white wires, 3 black wires & 3 ground wires. They have connected all 3 white wires with a wire nut & 3 ground wires with a wire nut but they only have 2 black wires & a jumper wire (also black) connected with a wire nut. The black jumper wire is going to the switch & one single black wire (coming from one of the ceiling sets of wires) also going to the switch as well. Essentially only the black wires are connected to the switch. I have never seen anything wired this way before (it's usually 1 black & 1 white wire connected to each switch plus ground) & have no idea how to separate it & have it all work. Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with it this way? Thanks

Switches only use the white if power is fed at the remote item.
Since the receptacle doesn't work right now, it would seem that you have changed something.
My guess is the recep now works when the light is on.
I think you are stuck with one switch unless you want to tear things up to add a new wire between the switch box and the one light you want to isolate.
You may not be allowed to do this yourself.
Danger, electricity is fire on a leash.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair