Electrical Wiring in the Home/residential wiring/uncoded county

Question
I AM  WORKING ON A NEW CONSTRUCTION HOUSE, THE ELECTRICIAN WIRING THE HOUSE HAS DONE SOMETHING THAT SEEMS UNSAFE TO ME HE HAS RUN 12/2 FROM THE PANEL TO SWITCH BOXES AND THEN DISTRIBUTED THE 20 AMP FUSED CURRENT ON 14/2 HE CLAIMS THIS IS WIRED ACCORDING TO OHIO CODE , I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN USE 14/2 ON A 20 AMP CIRCUIT. I ASKED A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRIAN IF THIS WAS WRONG AND HE SAID IT WAS, SO I BROUGHT THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF THE HOME OWNER A SECOND TIME, WE MET WITH HIM AND HE STUCK TO HIS STORY,AND TOLD THEM TO CONTACT SOUTH CENTRAL POWER AND HAVE THEM INSPECT THE WORK.
E    I LOOK FOWARD TO YOUR ANSWER THANK YOU

Answer
Hi Jon,

Yea I would not do that. I don't know of any exceptions in the code that would allow for this. That being said I don't think the house is going to explode. Especially if he is using AFCI breakers. Running the feeder in the larger wire will lower voltage drop. The feeder wire is also where you are most likely to reach the total amperage of the circuit.

You should have the work inspected by your local official. That is just normal building practice. If the inspector passes it I would not worry about it too much.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz