Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wire guage recommendation

Question
This will be a new 220v addition to my garage.  The ham radio amplifier will draw 10 amps each leg for 220 svc.  The run from the main is approx 80ft to the garage and may have to be run outside to get to the garage.  I cannot afford to experience any appreciable voltage drop to the amp. as it could affect the tubes and they cost $1500 each, as the amp costs $8000.

What gauge wire should I run? Will 10/3 work or do you suggest 8?

Thanks
Past Navy Electrician...46 yrs ago.
Jim

Answer
Formula is Vd=K I L/ CSA
Where K is material factor value
         I is current
         L is circuit length round trip
         CSA is conductor cross section in circular mild
         Vd is voltage drop

Copper K value is 12.9
If you allow a 2 per cent voltage drop - 5 volts, you could use 14 gauge.
Ten gauge would give 1 per cent Vd
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber