Electrical Wiring in the Home/buzzing noise coming from plugs after new ceiling fan installation

My neighbor installed a new ceiling fan for free in my son's bedroom.  There was already an existing light fixture there. He seemed to be having problems with the wiring instructions, said they were incorrect, and referred to the ceiling fan in his home to guide him. Took several tries wiring it, and finally got it going.  Everything seemed to be working fine.  A couple of weeks later, my son said several of his electrical plugs were not working at all.  That same day, I hammered a nail on a common wall in a different room, and the plugs worked again. But now, if he wiggles something in one of the plugs, they work off an on, and we can hear a buzzing noise coming from all outlets, but the fan still works great with no problems.  Could the outlet problems be related to the ceiling fan installation?

It sounds like you probably have a loose wire in either the switch box or the ceiling box, or the person simply miswired your outlet circuit.

Either way, at this point you have a serious situation and I recommend you get a qualified electrician to come fix your problem.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.