Electrical Wiring in the Home/changing a compressor from 120 volts to 240

The compressor now has a cord with a standard 120 volt plug.
The compressor motor has a diagram showing which wires need to be moved to convert the motor to 240 volts.
What about the electric cord to the motor? Does it have to be replaced entirely, or can I just cut off the 120 volt plug and  attach a 240 volt plug? Or what? bruxj

Accepting that what you say is accurate and you can change the connection on the motor to 240, then the only limitation which would prevent just changing the plug is the voltage rating of the cord.
If the conductor insulation is rated for 300 volts or more, then just change the plug and the wiring connections.
If there is no rating on the cord, I would play it safe and change the cord as well.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair