Electrical Wiring in the Home/Multimeter

I am not a very technical person, but I have a 3D printer that keeps messing up one way or another, and I'm told I might need to get a multimeter to see where the problem is this time. Can you recommend a good multimeter that pretty much can handle most electronics, but still is not going to break the bank? I saw a $20 one on the Sears website, but am not sure if that means it isn't any good considering they can come at least twice as expensive.

Troubleshooting these type of devices fall into a couple of different categories. You have mechanical, high voltage, and low voltage.

Most meters will adequately help you with the high voltage.

If you are troubleshooting the low voltage devices such as diodes, capacitors, etc. then you need a really good meter made to measure those devices.

A really good name in meters is Fluke.

But you need to get one that will measure electronic devices.

If you are not familiar with troubleshooting electronics then I would not recommend breaking the bank on a meter.  The money would probably be better spent having a technician look at your printer with you asking a ton of questions so next time you have a better chance of fixing it.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.