Electrical Wiring in the Home/SE Cable


Hello. I'm going to install a 100 amp main breaker to a 100 amp panel at the meter. The reason being is the panel is on the other side of the house and I need to run the service entrance conductors though the house. Since I'm installing a main disconnect (100 amp breaker) at the meter, is the panel now considered a subpanel? Also when entering the side of the house with the SE cable to go to the other side of the house, what is a good way of doing that?

If I understand you correctly this will be a subpanel and subject to the rules of bonding and unbonding with the ground and neutral.

Typically, a "LB" fitting is used to make a sharp 90 degree turn from the vertical run to the horizontal run in the attic.

Use a large LB fitting because SE at 100 amp is large.

Your other option is to use a large junction box.

But either way, you pull the wire through and do not make a splice.

If you google "LB fitting" there are some pretty good images of what it looks like and how it is mounted.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.