Electrical Wiring in the Home/Switch/Wiring Problem

Question
Hi, I am renovating a bathroom. i added wiring for a exhaust fan to a new timer switch. i also added a new GFCI plug(used existing wiring). The existing wiring - the hot feed came in to the light switch box, hot pigtailed to switch and then black to black and out of box. this switch operated the gfci and the light power. now once i hooked back up, for some reason when i turn the switch on, i have both the white and black "live" to both the gfci and the light. once i connect the fan feed it also goes hot in both the black and whites. i am thinking i have a short in the wall somewhere..but possibly i am just missing something very simple here. appreciate you time..Derek

Answer
OK, the wire from the power source goes into the switch box.  From there it goes to the GFCI and the light and the fan?  If that is the case, all of the whites connect together. The black wire coming in goes to the light switch, the timer, and the black wire of the GFCI.  The black wire going to the fan goes to the other fan switch screw, and the black wire from the light goes to the other light switch screw.

Now, if instead, the power goes to the light first, none of this will work unless you add another wire.

Check to see that the wires are connected as I said. If there is a problem, write me back.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle