Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring a ceiling light fixture

Question
Recently, I had a problem with an expensive ceiling light that fell out of its holder and broke.  I have fixed all of the mechanical pieces, however, I am having a problem with the wiring.  The wiring that connects to the ceiling box consists of 2 brown wires and a bare copper ground.  My dilemma is that the wiring connections for each of 6 light bulbs is black or white.  When I tried to connect the brown wire I connected one brown wire to the white and one to the black (both had multiple wiring connected together with a twist cap).  I am not able to get the lights to work and need some help in making the right tie-ins.  Did I make a mistake in assuming that the brown wires and the same as hot and cold, and if so how do I connect the brown wires to the black and white wires.  Your support is appreciated

Answer
Hi.

For safety reasons, the black wires on the sockets should end up to the black wire in the box, and the white wires on the sockets should end up to the white wire in the box. If you get it reversed, it should still work.  It would be easier to get a shock while changing the bulb if you don't do it right.  The brown wire should either have writing on one side, or ribs on one sde. Just keep the wires straight.

All of the white wires connect to one of the brown wires.  all of the black wires conenct to the other brown wire. If that is not working, either a connection is not good, or you don't have power in the box.  It is also possible that the bulbs were all damaged when it fell.  So, try a new bulb to make sure.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle