Electrical Wiring in the Home/10 -3 wire

I had a circuit with 10-3 wire that had 2 light switches and 2 outlets. The outlet works fine, but never used the switch before. Someone came in and took it apart and I don't have a clue how to rewire this. Like I said the outlet was working but the switch is my problem when I turn it on i get a hot/ground reverse error on my tester. What wires should I have on each side. I am thinking the red white on one, black blue on the other. Any help??? Is my problem clear?

I need some clarification.

You have a circuit that feeds two outlets and two lights with two switches controlling the lights.

The outlets are powered correctly.

Are you having a problem with one light switch or both light switches?

Typically, a light switch has three screws; one for power coming in, one for power leaving, and one for the ground.

Tell me what wires you have in the switch box.

You will need to establish which wire is hot and which is neutral.

There are more questions I need to ask, but for now I need to know the answers to these.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.