Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ampacity issue

Question
Ben,
Thanks for answering questions here. I preface by saying I'm a jack of all trades, master at none. I do a lot of my own home electrical work, where practical and legal. However, my 1960's built home has a 125 amp rated panel of screw-in and cartridge fuses and I do understand it should be upgraded to 200 amp to service my modern needs as lights droop when the HVAC kicks on, etc. BUT - My home shares a transformer with two others. I can't even see the transformer. Bare lines travel through woods to the pole nearest my home, where residential service drops visibly split to mine, and two neighbor's houses. I noticed the other night while outside after dark that my flood lights drooped when the neighbor's HVAC kicked on. Of course this is not an ideal situation and I imagine upgrading my own panel will have no effect on this. Any advice? Should I contact the utility and demonstrate this, or in your experience, am I stuck with what I have?

Thanks again,
Michael

Answer
Michael
I would tell the power company that you are going to upgrade to a 200 amp service and that you need them to supply you with the correct drop,seems like this is a outdated service and you have every right to have a adequate supply of voltage and amps going to your home.What they will do is either update the transformer and/or run you a new drop to your new service
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben