Electrical Wiring in the Home/Flickering lights

Question
Hello. First of all, I know this is going to sound a little crazy. I have a round fluorescent light in my kitchen that flickers. It is dark towards the end and has started to dim. After researching online, I am sure the bulb is getting ready to blow. I was feeling better about the situation until it the lights in my living room seemed to flash very briefly. It has only happened once, but now I'm completely paranoid. I've read about arcing and I'm concerned I might be living with a serious fire hazard.

I do not have the money to call an electrician over anxiety, so I was hopeful you might be able to provide me with some additional "symptoms" of arcing. Would the flickering get worse over time? Would I hear anything? Would the bulbs appear damaged?

The house was built in 1982 and, to my knowledge, has never had any electrical issues. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Answer
Recently I had a CFL bulb start flickering occasionally. Thankfully I was in the room when it started to smoke and catch fire or my house may have burned down.

Flickering lights are an indication that something is not right.

They could be from a momentary drain by a different load (air conditioner for example), or it could mean that you have a loose connection, it could be that the bulb is losing its capacity to stay lit, or you could have a bad ballast.

You definitely want to change out the bulbs that are flickering. If you continue to notice any flickering then you could have a bad ballast, loose connection, a switch that is starting to fail, or a voltage problem.

This is something you want to keep a close eye on and do not hesitate to call an electrician, even if just for your peace of mind.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes