Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ground wire to outdoor spigot

Hi Bob,

I am replacing my side of house spigot with a frost free sillcock.  The existing fixture is brass and the new frost free is chrome plated.  There is currently a ground clamp and wire attached to the spigot behind the handle.  

I cant tell where the ground wire goes; it heads in the direction of my phone/cable boxes (which are above the spigot one foot to the right) but I cant see if it actually goes in.  I have my electrical panel main ground attached to the supply side of my water pipe where it enters the house, so I just assume that the one on the spigot is for the phone/cable.

Three questions/issues:
1)Is it safe to disconnect this for the hour or so it will take to replace the fixture? I will be the only one home and not using anything in the house.

2)The existing fixture has enough room behind the handle to attach the ground clamp (obviously, since it's there) but the new one does not due to the position of the anti-siphon valve. Do I need a grounding rod instead or should I try to reattach?

3)Assuming I can reattach, will the chrome plating affect the ground connection? I assume not because it's still metal, but I wasn't sure.

1.) Yes as long as its not in the middle of a storm with thunder and lightning.

2.) Try to reattach as thats the easiest thing to do or maybe you can drill through the wall and locate the ground clamp on the cold water pipe feeding that spigot if its in an unfinished area. You can attach the clamp anywhere along that cold water pipe or any cold water pipe that the ground wire will reach.

3.) Correct it will not.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.