Electrical Wiring in the Home/Installing a light fixture with multiple wires

I am trying to install a light fixtures with 5 wires coming out of it-a black and white wire coming out of one port and a white, black and blue one coming out of another.  The new light fixture has the usual black, white and copper ground. The light switch is a lit panel (not sure if this matters).  I have tried blk, blk combo with white and blue combo.  That didn't work.  I'm a bit of a novice.  Thank you.

It sounds like the black/blue/white combo is in case you want to install a ceiling fan.

Try this:

Take the black from the black/white and connect it to  the switch.
Take the black from the black/blue/white and connect it to the other side of the switch.

Take both whites and wire nut them together.

Put a wire nut on the blue.

All grounds get wire nutted together with a pig tail to the switch ground screw.

If that does not work you should take the black of the black/blue/white off the switch (and put a wire nut on it) and put the blue on the switch.

Of course, all the work is done without the power on.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.