Electrical Wiring in the Home/Mixing Bulbs in Recessed Cans

QUESTION: I have 6 recessed lights in my living room ceiling and the cans take BR40 bulbs. At the present time I have 6 halogen incandescent dimmable bulbs in the cans and the first bulb blew after about 5 years. I have not yet replaced it and I expect that the others will go shortly. I would like to eventually replace all the living room bulbs with BR40 dimmable LED bulbs, but not all at once because the cost of these bulbs is still quite expensive (about $30 each). My questions is: Can I mix incandescent and LED bulbs on the same circuit, or must it be all incandescent or all LED? Thank you.

ANSWER: Yes, you can mix them.

QUESTION: I now use a dimmer for all 6 incandescent bulbs. If I replace a couple of them with LED bulbs, making it 4 incandescents and 2 LED's, can I use the same dimmer? I heard that I might need a dimmer made especially for LED bulbs. Thanks.

Usually the LED lights are made so that they are compatible with a standard dimmer.  I have one dimmer where I have used LED, incandescent and dimmable CFL bulbs. If the LED bulbs say they are dimmable, it would be with a standard dimmer, unless it says otherwise.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.