Electrical Wiring in the Home/outlets and unmarked fuses

Question
I have a small shed with 5 electrical outlets.They all worked yesterday until I plugged an extension cord in one of them, then the oulet sparked and now I now none of the oulets are working. I checked the fuse box ( have 3 fuses ) which are not marked. One is marked lights which are still working. My question is how can I find out which fuse goes to what outlets before I change the outlets out so I can then mark them properly. What is the safest way to change the outlets out.?

Answer
Hi.

More likely the wire burned than the outlet is bad.  So, check all of the wiring for burn spots, etc. If any outlets have wires pushed into the back, move the wire to the screws on the side. Check inside the wire nuts.

It would be best to remove all the fuses before working on the outlets.  Sometimes wires for more than one circuit are in a box. You really can't use a tester, because the outlets are not working.  And if the white wire is bad, you can still get shocked without the outlets working.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle