Electrical Wiring in the Home/separate garage

Advertisement


Question
earlier in year we had a prob with losing power to diff parts of the house I popped out breakers and dropped them down in the box and that fixed that. in my garage I was out there one day and it died I have checked breakers and moved that one etc cant figure it out! I have removed everything and just put a single outlet on that line coming in I get good reading with no load but soon as I put even a single florescent lite on it theres nothing the light will flicker but not enuff to get it going whats going on here im stumped

Answer
Hi.

It sounds like you don't have a working neutral to the garage. Check the white wire from the source in the house to where the outlet is. Since the feedback will cause the tester to register, you may want to use a 60 watt or 100 watt light bulb as a tester.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Bob Sponaugle

Expertise

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.