Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring a new bathroom fan/heater/light

We bought a new fan/heater/light unit to replace a similar existing one. The wiring diagram shows there needs to be one wire coming from the switch with 2 wires (black, white, and ground) and one wire from the switch with 3 wires (black, white, red, and ground). When we removed the old unit, there is only two 14/2 wires (black, white, and ground) coming from the switch. Since there is no red wire coming from the switch, we cannot figure out how to wire it. By following the included wiring diagram, it leaves one wire in the new unit with nothing to connect to. Is it possible or do we need to fish a new 14/3 wire through the wall to the switch?

Was there a heater there before?

With only a black and a white, the light heater and fan would have to come on the same time.

You need a white and a ground to operate anything.  Then you need one more black or red wire for each switch you want.  So, if you want 3 switches, then you need 3 black or red wires and a white and ground wire.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.