Electrical Wiring in the Home/240 volt 45 amp kiln

I am adding a circuit for a pottery kiln. The kiln has a three prong plug. One small flat, one large flat and a round. I hve some 63 w/ground and was wondering if I could use it and leave the white wire open and wrap with tape so no possible short?

With a 220 volt circuit that does not use a neutral you take the neutral and tape it, or put a wire nut on it and then tape it, and push it out of the way of the outlet.

We need to make sure the wire size is correct.

Is the 45 amps the rated amps or the size of the required circuit?

If it uses 45 amps and it will run 3 hours, or more, at a time you will need to take that into consideration. How you do that is multiply the amps by 1.2. Which in your case puts you over 50 amps.
Then, you need to consider the length of the circuit. If it is over 100 feet you will need to go to the next larger wire size.

If there is any doubt you can call the manufacture and ask them if the 45 amps is the running amps or the rated circuit.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.