Electrical Wiring in the Home/amps

Question
Hi Ben:

Question:

I want to run my 230 volt  15 amp air compressor off of my 230 volt 20 amp generator.
Is it possible I could fry the motor on my compressor?

If so, is there another another way to hook these up?

Thanks

Dennis

Answer
Dennis

Yes you can  as it is the same voltage but the problem is that the amperage of the compressor is 15 amp and the generator breaker is 20 amp if the compressor starts to overload it may not trip the circuit. What you can do is change the breaker in the generator if you plan on keeping this this way. The only other thing is to not overload the compressor.you will have to keep a watch on it In my own opinion its not that much of a difference.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben