Electrical Wiring in the Home/Dimmer Switch

Question
I have a hall light that is controlled by 4 switches.  I want to add a dimmer switch and the guy at the hardware store said I can only add one dimmer and it has to be on the one switch that is a 3 way.  That switch has 2 black wires and one orange. I connected up the 3 way dimmer and it does not work with the other switches.  If the other 3 are off the dimmer wont turn them on.  

Any thoughts?

Answer
Karl,

A few.

To be clear there are two switches of the 4 that are 3 ways and the other two are four ways.
The 3 ways have 3 terminals and the 4 ways have 4 terminals. You can put the dimmer in either of the 3 way switch locations.

You either got a bad dimmer or you connected it wrong which isn't hard to do. You MUST know which is the "common" wire on the 3 way switch and connect it to the orange wire on the dimmer which is the dimmer "common". The "common" terminal on a switch is designated by a dark colored screw. The "traveler" terminals are designated by a "brass" color. It does not matter which of the remaining two wires is connected to either brass terminal, you just have to get the "common" right. The same applies to your 3 way dimmer. The two black wires are the "travelers".

If your not sure at this point which wire was the "common" then just mark the one that is currently connected to the orange wire on the dimmer. Once you have it marked disconnect it and reconnect it to one of the other two wires from the switch box and take the free wire from the switch box and connect it to the orange. Check the dimmer and see if it works properly. If it does not then rotate the wires again in the same manner using the next wire from the switch box. Barring a defective dimmer it should work because you will have tried all 3 wires from the switch box as the "common".

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman