Electrical Wiring in the Home/Double GFCI Breakers

I have a line that runs from the circuit breaker cabinet to the exterior to plug in a sump pump.  The line runs from the cabinet to the exterior of the house where there is a GFCI outlet.   From this point the line drops down out of the receptacle box travels underground to a post in the yard where there is another receptacle near the sump pump (non-GFCI).  The electrician installed a GFCI breaker in the breaker cabinet and there is also a GFCI on the side of the house.  The breaker keeps tripping even when the sump is not plugged in.  Could the double GFCI's be causing the problem??

Thanks for the help.

Patrick Kelly

It sure sounds like the double GFCI is the problem I am not sure but you do not need two GFI's for anything so I would get rid of the one that's tripping (literally) and hopefully that will clear up the problem. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need more help....Curt dog
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Curtis E. Hubbard

I can answer questions on Residential-Commercial-Industrial, Installation-Repairs-Upgrades. Troubleshooting circuits is my specialty. I cannot answer questions on HVAC or Communication Cabling.

I have over 27 years of experience as an Electrician. I am Certified by The State of California (Certified General Electrician). I am also Certified by The International Society of Certified Electronics Technicians, (ISCET). I have been the Owner/Electrical Manager at C & G Electric for 17 years.

I have an AS in Electrical Engineering Technologies (Penn Foster College). I have completed Vocational courses In Electronics and Advanced Electronics.