Electrical Wiring in the Home/no ground with the red, black and white wire.

Question
QUESTION: I am trying to put in a ceiling fan for my son.  It is an older house and has the red, black and white wire with no ground.  I do understand that the red and black are both hot.  I need to connect a black, white and ground to reach the center of the room.  

I want to cap the red and use the black and the white.  What do I do with the ground?  Does it need a ground?

Thanks,

Ed

ANSWER: Hi.

If your house does not have a ground, you can not ground the fan. Do not connect the ground wire.

If the fan does not work with the wall switch the way you connect it, then use the red instead. The fan should connect the same way the old light fixture did.

QUESTION: When I connected the white to white and black to black.  There is not power showing on my tester.  The tester lights up before I connect to line to the ceiling fan.  

Why is the power shorting out when I connect the incoming line to the fan?

Thanks,

Ed

Answer
If you don't have power, then there is something wrong somewhere else.  Was there a light fixture there before? Is the fan connected the same way as the light? If a white wire is not making contact somewhere, such as in the switch box, you may get a reading from the test light, but the fan won't work. Check the wiring.

What do you mean it is shorting out? Is the fuse blowing/breaker tripping?
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle