Electrical Wiring in the Home/Loud Chirping

Help!  I have an extremely loud and piercing chirping coming from inside my wall or ceiling, which started early this morning.  It sounds like a smoke detector when the battery dies, but there are none in this area, nor is there a CO2 detector in this area.

I've tried turning off the main power breaker at the breaker box, but that didn't stop it.  

The chirping occurs somewhat randomly.  It might chirp twice in a minute, then not again for 2 or 3 minutes.

I have an old ADT security system, but it's been disabled for years and has been disconnected from it's battery at the main ADT box in the basement.

The house is about 20 years old, and I've been in it for 15 of those years, so I would have guessed that if there were a smoke detector buried in the wall somewhere, I'd have come across this way before now.

Any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure either.

I would think that a smoke detector would have chirped with a low battery a long time before 15 years.  Could it be some kind of insect?  It's the year of the 17 year locust.  Is there an attic above that you can get into and perhaps get closer?

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.