Electrical Wiring in the Home/rewiring lamp


I have a lamp my mom gave me from Europe. It is an Halogen lamp with a max 50W-12V Halogen bulb. The lamp has a big adapter to convert  to 230V for European system and plug in wall. The adapter is huge and it seems crazy to add another adapter to convert to 110V. I know I don't have to change the wires themselves and I have to deal with the change before the adapter. Where if & can I find an adapter which would allow me to go from the Halogen 12V to the 110 and plug in my home? In electrical terms what would it be?
Thank you very much, Fanny

I would think that NY city has some good lamp repair shops, especially since it so cosmopolitan.

Halogen bulbs can be hazardous if not treated correctly so I highly recommend you find a shop that specializes in converting appliances from overseas to the U.S.A.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.