You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/ring stove receptavle with old 220v wire


I am fixing up a house built in 1954. There are numerous types of wire most of which is exposed now that the basement ceilings are down. The  220 for the stove outlet has cloth around 3 sets of wire, two with rubber insulation, no colors and one with no insulation. The outlet is 3 prong Is the uninsulated wire neutral(White)or a ground? the outlet says not to ground. I know which is hot but I didn't disconnect the old outlet and the person who did doesn't remember where the bare wire went. HELP!!


Up until the 1990's, the ground and the neutral was the same wire for stoves and dryers. However, all the wire I have seen has an insulated wire for this.  If there is any way you can replace the wire, I would do that.  Any new stove is going to have a 4 wire plug on it. The white wire is still going to have current in it. If you go with the old, the bare is the white. But it would be a lot safer to replace the wire.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]