Electrical Wiring in the Home/Switch to outlet connection

The garbage disposal is plugged into the top of an outlet under the sink and the dishwasher is plugged into the bottom of the same outlet.  There is a switch next to the sink for the disposal.  The switch no longer turns on the disposal. When I unplug the disposal from the top of the outlet and plug into the bottom the disposal runs but the switch won't turn it off.  The dishwasher runs no matter which part it is plugged into.  
The switch was replaced and it has a current so what is the problem...switch?  outlet?  Other?

I thank you for your assistance!

So the disposal does not work in the top outlet, but the dishwasher does?  Or does the disposal work on the top, but not shut off? Do you know if both items are on separate circuits? They should be, but may not be. I assume nothing was changed just before it stopped working?

If the items are on separate circuits, then the tabs should be broken on the outlet between the screws.  The wire coming from the panel for the dishwasher should just be black to dark bottom screw and white to light bottom screw.  The disposal should have white to top light colored screw black from the panel to one wire going to switch and the other switch wire going to the dark colored top terminal on the outlet.

Check and make sure it is wired that way, and nothing is touching something it shouldn't be. You can disconnect the wires going to the switch and see if the top outlet is still working. If it is, then something is touching it shouldn't be.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.