Electrical Wiring in the Home/uh oh

Question
I promised my wife a new ceiling fan for our anniversary gift. After confidently removing the old lights and removing wire nuts it came to my attention I had 3 lines of cloth wire in romex without a ground. I know this type is unsafe, I have no idea how to hook up any light now without colors and ground, and will have 2 rooms without light until I figure something out. I'm guessing you'll tell me to call a pro but I'm hoping for a way out. Any ideas?

Answer
Doug

Do you Have a tester for electric? Sounds like you have a 3 wire coming from the switch if what you telling me is that there are only 3 wires in one cloth cable. Here is how to check this out. Take the tester and check each wire to one another when you get  2 wires together this should be the hot circuit reading around 120v then take the other wire and make sure the switch is on check that one until you get 120 volts have someone turn off the switch if it turns off then that is the switched wire which will go on the fan light wire. Now when you find the wire that gives you both of the 120v reading that should be the neutral wire mark that with white tape or something that will let you know that it is the neutral.Then once you determined what wires are what the remanding wires can be used to hook up to the fan motor wires which should be white and black.Good luck with this let me know what happens.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben