Electrical Wiring in the Home/Some wall outlets suddenly have no power.

Hello Bob,
Earlier the power went out in a single outlet that I had my AC unit plugged into. I used a voltage tester and it indicated there was power, but nothing works when I plug it into the outlet. The surge protection I had plugged in has a power light on it, but it is very dim. I wanted to take a look at the wiring on the outlet so I went to turn the circuit breaker off for that room. Only problem was that these breaker switches were never labeled so it was trial and error to figure out breaker was for which part of the house. I took a look at the outlet and no wires were loose. Turned the power back on and still no power from that outlet. The problem not is that another outlet in that same room has the same problem at the first. And outlets and light switches in another room are out after I turned the breaker off and on for that room.

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do now. Any help would be great. Thanks

Is the outlet 110 volts?  Air conditioners are supposed to have their own circuit, so don't assume it is on the same circuit as anything else.

It sounds like a white wire has come loose somewhere in the circuit. That would cause the problems you describe.  The other problem may be part of your outlet problem, or it could be that one of the breakers did not turn back on.  But check the breakers again.  Then start checking the wires.  It may not be easy to track down, so you may need an electrician.  The most common places is where the wires connect to the outlets, and under wire nuts.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.