Electrical Wiring in the Home/wires

Question
QUESTION: The electrician left live wires on top of my roof while he is waiting for the inspector. That was a week ago. Is this a fire hazard?

ANSWER: What wires, live or otherwise, are on your roof?
Did you have your service point relocated?

QUESTION: Yes, an electrician moved the electric to the back of the house because I had a room added on. We are using the electricity now but there is a pile of cables laying on the roof. He said we need the electrical inspector to come before we can have the electric company come to do their part. Is it safe for those wires to be sitting on the roof? Thanks.

Answer
There are always other ways to do something, but the options range from leaving you disconnected from the utility until the inspector comes to setting up a generator to power your entire house [very expensive and noisy proposition - and if you think the wires on the roof look dangerous you wouldn't believe a temporary generator hookup!].

Bear in mind that you would certainly not think it reasonable to pay what it would cost to install and then remove a permanent wiring method as a temporary measure. I wouldn't either. If he is competent, I am sure that your electrician has endeavored to make the temporary power connection and conductors as safe and reliable as the regular permanent equipment will be.

What you describe sounds exactly like what I would have done myself, because I have.

I looked into Wisconsin practices regarding electrical contracting. It appears that local municipalities issued licenses until recently, much like in Pennsylvania, but the state has just now taken over licensing as their responsibility. There are restricted licenses, based on prior local municipal certifications, as well as state-level unrestricted electrical contractor, master electrician and journeyman electrician licenses. The state test sounds comprehensive and the requirements suggest that anyone securing an electrical permit has had to show some degree of competency and a period of continuous regular experience.

Remember, however, that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would be impatient to know when the inspector will be coming and who is handling the relocation at the utility. I think they might enjoy getting to know you on a first-name basis beforehand, if you get my drift...
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber