Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring for Ceiling Fan

Question
I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my garage. There was previously just a light fixture. The switch runs two fixtures, one on each side of the garage. So I know that I have three sets of wiring, a switch, a power, and a connection. One set of wires is four, red, black, white, and ground. The other two sets are black, white, and ground.  I had everything working great, then I went to adjusting the wires so I could attach the canopy, and something went wrong. Now nothing is working and I've tried unattaching and reattaching the connections with no luck, other than sparks. Please help. I've seen several posts with the same issue, but none of them tell me what to do with the red wire. Thanks.

Answer
Josh
usually the red wires are the switched wire try putting the red wire only on the fan black wires and then tie the black wires together by themselves and tuck them in the box then hook up the white wires to the fan white wire and the same for the grounds hook them up to the fan ground by themselves.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben