Electrical Wiring in the Home/GFCI Outlet

Question
I installed a new GFCI outlet in place of a standard outlet. Wired as directed (line on the top screws; load on the bottom screws; black on copper; white on silver). Turned on breaker and the outlet looked fine: Green status light on outlet came on. However, when I plugged in my outlet tester, it blew out the bulbs on the tester and tripped the GFCI and the breaker in the panel. Wondering what might have happened. When I put the outlet in, I noticed that the outlet box was quite small. Also noticed that when I pushed in my tester, the outlet wiggled and moved back into the wall a little with the pressure. Does it sound likely that when I pushed in the tester, the outlet moved and perhaps one of the wires came close to or even touched bare copper wire? Could that cause something like this?

Answer
Hi.

Most likely the prong of the tester went in further than a plug and contacted both the hot slot and the grounded bar behind it. It is also possible that the GFCI shifted and caused a short.  You may want to get a bigger box, or put electrical tape over the screws.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle