Electrical Wiring in the Home/lighting switch

Question
Hello Bob : I recently installed a new light in my bathroom...black to black, white to white and grounded it like I have done on at least 7 other lights in my home. This time however after flipping the power back on and screwing in the bulbs the light came on even though the switch was in the off position and it will not turn off. Thought maybe it was the switch so installed a new one and still the same results. By the way, the switch is connected to the Black and Red wires with the white capped in the switch box. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Answer
Hi.

You should always install the new fixture exactly the same as your old fixture.

One of the pair of wires is a switch loop. With the power OFF, use a continuity tester to see which pair of wires show continuity with the switch on, but no continuity with the switch off. (The testers can be found at any home center, and are cheap and easy to use.) The white wire with that pair is actually a hot wire, so put a piece of black tape on it to show it is hot.

Now connect that wire with the tape on it to the black fixture wire.  Then connect the remaining whites together, and the remaining blacks together.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle