Electrical Wiring in the Home/loss of power on 2nd floor

Question
now its gotten strange--as I wrote you I have an extension cord from living room to provide power to 2nd floor until it is repaired-what I did not tell you is that I am a kidney dialysis patient, we do it at home, the machine is in the 1st floor bedroom on the same breaker as the living room, all upstairs, and basement lights so we are really concerned about all that on same breaker, if it were to trip while I was hooked to the machine-since power just went out-we figured it was a good time to relocate it on to another breaker-temp, I decided instead of outlet in living room on same breaker, I would run extension cord down exhaust vent to basement and plug in in outlet on different breaker-when I unplugged cord, I discovered it was "live" electricity coming to cord from attic instead of the reverse-I tried the lights-somehow our power came back on 2nd floor by itself-(maybe all the "messing" I did "bumped" something???)this suggest I was wrong about the line I thought was the main feed as it is still disconnected-but if there was power to the cord and I had it plugged in a live outlet, should not it had shorted out??? now I have to go back in attic and try to figure out the real main lead as for reasons I wrote we really should put 2nd floor on another breaker

Answer
Wouldn't blow up if fed from same panel bus segment
(Same side of trsnsformer)
Sounds like a bad splice or a burned connection at a device
Turn it off and pull all devices and fixtures until you find the failed location
It might be at a receptacle where the wire is slipped into the little hole instead of spliced or landed on the screws
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber