Electrical Wiring in the Home/short in a line
hoping that you can help us out one day we lost power to upstairs outlets and the light in the basement room and two out lets down their, my husband has checked all breakers and they do not trip, when he checked the line only 104 volts at the light socket but at breaker the volts come out at 122 all breakers, the rest of the house was not affected, but once I forgot and turned light on in the basement and it came on for a 1/2 second and never came on again. Please help us we are living with extension cords giving us power to various locations of the house..
When there is an unusual voltage, it is usually caused by a disconnected white neutral line. The voltage is caused by feedback on the line.
SO, you need to find the break. These things can be hard to track down. Somewhere in the circuit, there is a break. It could even be at a device that is working, because it could be the wire leaving the working device that is not working.
Check all outlets, switch boxes, and lights. Check the wire nuts, because the wire could look connected, but not be. Especially check any outlets that have the wires pushed in the back rather than screwed to the sides, because sometimes these fail.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here