Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electric range wiring

Question
I buy/renovate/flip houses for a living.  On more than one occasion, someone wired an electric range to a 30-amp circuit.  The original kitchen had a separate oven and cooktop, each using a separate 30A circuit.  But the kitchen had been remodeled, and they re-designed it for a free-standing range rather than the separate built-in appliances.  However, they simply re-used one circuit by wiring it to a range outlet on the wall.  They eliminated the other circuit.

How much power do ranges actually use?  It never tripped a 30A breaker, but I thought they used more than 30 amps.  Of course, I always rewire these things with 6-3 romex and a 50A breaker.

Can they legally be wired with a 30A circuit?  Are they more energy-efficient nowadays compared to before?

Answer
Hi.

The official amperage should be on the serial number plate, which would be everything on and on high.  However, it depends on how much of the range is being used at one time.  All of the burners have different settings, plus it depends on how many are on.  The oven cycles off and on.

I would imagine it would be quite more than 30 amps if someone was preparing a big meal.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle