Electrical Wiring in the Home/Flickering lights

Question
The lights in one part of my house occasionally flicker. They dim very slightly (almost imperceptible) for a fraction of a second, then go back to normal, and this pattern repeats sporadically for a few minutes. Then all is normal again. This happens several times throughout the day.
Some details:
-   The lights in question are on a sub-panel for one part of the house. (The other house lights run directly on circuits from the main panel and havenít been a problem.)
-   No electric motors are on the sub-panel, and no small appliances are in use when the problem occurs.
-   The house is about 50 yards from the ocean . . . so salt is always a suspect.

Iíd appreciate your ideas or suggestions. Thanks!
Frank

Answer
Frank, even though no electric motors are fed from the sub panel, any device in the main panel that is operating will affect the voltage of the sub panel. The first thing I would check is the connections of the main panel to ensure all connections are tight. Then check the connections feeding the sub panel and the sub panel connections where the line feeds from the main panel. If the power can not be disconnected to do this, I would let an electrician do this in a live panel. Thanks Frank, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook