Electrical Wiring in the Home/Natural gas generator installation

Question
Hi Robert. Thanks in advance for considering my question. Obviously, no one can give me anything exact here, but I'm looking for a sort of baseline to think from.  I am looking to install a natural gas-powered generator here in New York in my widowed mom's home, as she is having long power outages now every year because of the big storm (she was without power for seven days last winter during the huge storm you may have read about). The reason I am thinking natural gas is the way to go is that if I couldn't get there, she could never take out gas/propane and refill herself to keep it going.

This is for a house that has natural gas already for the stove/range. She only needs enough power for a space heater and a few accessories in one room, like her lights. I've been doing some reading and the best I can make out is that about 3,500 watts,  should be about sufficient (does that sound right?). I would expect to buy on the low to middling range of generator units. Can you give me some idea of what this would be expected to cost, with the unit itself, a transfer switch, whatever else is needed and full installation by an electrician? I know it's a broad question but I'm looking for some idea. I mean at this point I don't know whether I should be thinking $1,500. or $10,000.

Thank you,

Andy

Answer
And plumber...electricians don't do gas work...it explodes...and we have problems enough with electricity..it just starts fires
Ten  to twenty and your mom's existing gas service may not serve a generator, as consumption of a generator often exceeds supply of existing installations.
Find out gas delivery capabilities from utility.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber