Electrical Wiring in the Home/pilot switch

Question
wires
wires  
I have a switch that used to show if the door in the basement was open. I bought a new switch but not sure how the wiring is supposed to attach. I have a white and black wire and a red and yellow(picture attached).  how do I connect them to make it work. -- thanks

Answer
Mary, with a red and yellow I am not sure what they are using for the hot and neutral. I looked at an identical switch. The switch with the light on one side has two terminals with black head screws. The hot circuit wire needs to be attached to the black screw beside of the switch, it is connected with a factory jumper to the light black terminal. On the other side of the swietch, the hot wire feeding to the basement will attach to the switch screw. The ground connects in the center of this side and the circuit neutral connects to the screw terminal beside of the light. A short wire needs to be attached to this screw beside of the light that is silver and the circuit neutral and the neutral from the basement will all three be tied together with a wire nut and the short wire connected to this silver screw. This gives the neutral to operate the light on the switch and the basement device. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook