Electrical Wiring in the Home/Can I run Romex into an existing metal box

Question
Hi J,
I live on Long Island, NY. I have a new outlet that's wired with Romex. I want to get power for this new outlet from an existing outlet that's wired with BX in a metal box. Is this allowed and, if so, how is the Romex protected where it enters the box and where do I attach the Romex ground wire in the metal box?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bob

Answer
This is allowed. You will need to use a typical romex connector that has the two screw clamp to attach it to the box. There will be a ground on the existing receptacle. Take it loose and attach a short wire to the existing receptacle then use a wire nut to attach the original ground wire, the new wire you attached to the receptacle and the romex ground wire together. Thanks, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook