Electrical Wiring in the Home/SWITCHING A 22O-8 GUAGE WIRE FOR A PUMP

Question
QUESTION: I'M RUNNING AN 8 GUAGE FROM THE BREAKER BOX TO MY PUMP (WHICH IS 200 FEET AWAY FROM THE HOUSE).

I WANT TO INSTALL A SWITCH NEAR THE BREAKER BOX, AND I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN USE 10 GUAGE WIRE FROM THE BREAKER TO THE SWITCH, AND STILL MAINTAIN THE PROPER AMPERAGE FOR THE PUMP TO RUN PROPERLY (SO IT WON'T OVER HEAT).

THE HYPOTHETICAL DIAGRAM IS: 22O BREAKER ---- 10 GA. WIRE (UNDER 10 FEET LONG) --- SWITCH --- 8 GA. WIRE (APPROX. 200 FEET LONG) --- PUMP.

QUESTION IS: WII THE 10 GA. WIRE MESS UP THE RUN, OR WII THE PUMP STILL WORK RIGHT?

THANK YOU.

TERENCE CRABB.

ANSWER: No, the wire should be the same for everything, so you should use 8 gauge.

QUESTION: THE PUMP OVERHEATS, AND THE THERMAL PROTECTOR SHUTS IT OFF.

DO YOU THINK I NEED A BIGGER PUMP?

RIGHT NOW, MY PUMP IS 1.5 HORSE.

I HAVE ALL 8 GA. & 6 GA. WIRE.

THANK YOU.

TERENCE CRABB.

Answer
Hi.

I'm not really a pump expert (I have city water), but it could be too small, it may be partially clogged, or it may be old and wearing out.

If the pump has worked fine for a while, then it is probably the right size. Hopefully the place that sells pumps can recommend the right size.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle