Electrical Wiring in the Home/Transfer Switch vs Interlock

Question
QUESTION: i just purchased a portable generator( I live in NY and we have had a lot of power failures in the past few years) and am looking into having an electrician install a transfer switch. I recently became aware of something called an Interlock Kit which allows you to use your existing panel and also you do not need to pick and choose circuits to switch to the transfer switch as all circuits on the main panel are potentially available.  I understand I would have to monitor the wattage I am using based on the capacity of the generator. This seems like a very good alternative to a transfer switch. What is the downside of this alternative?

ANSWER: Jeff

The downside would be if you start turning on more appliances and loads then the generator can handle. Where are you located in NY we are located on long Island. We are a Generator installer.Actually we have installed many of the interlock kits.

QUESTION: Ben,
That's great! I am in Merrick. Do you do work in my area? Is a town permit required to do this?  The way I see it, I am using a 5500 watt LP generator, so even if I get a transfer switch, I still have to monitor the usage. The advantage to the interlock is I don't have to select circuits in advance, right?

Answer
Jeff
Yes we do work in your are we are out in Bay Shore here is our company information

Thank You
Ben
GB Enterprises
1088 Cassel Ave
Bay Shore, NY 11706
631-968-6006

Viet Nam Veteran Owned Business

Electrical Contractor, Stand-By Generator & Small Engine & Equipment repairs.

Authorized For the Following Company's  Briggs & Stratton,GE, Kohler, Generac ,Win Power, MTD, Karcher, Ryobi, Troy-Bilt, Hydro-gear, Murray, Honda, Campbell Hausfeld & many others.

We also sell & service MD Vacuum's & Nutone Intercoms

Web www.gbelect.net
E-mail gb@gbelect.net
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben